1.24.2010

Irony?

“I enjoy writing about my own life, but I don’t like people knowing anything about me”

That was a sentence in a book I just finished reading and an inspiration to the written material that follows. The book was, Eating the Dinosaur, by C. Klosterman, but I only include that info to credit the source. In no way am I trying to appear smart or elitist because I sometimes choose to read in my free time.

First, I do like to write. Second, I like to write about my own life because that’s the life I know and I hope others can relate to it. I often enjoy writing about other topics as well, but these topics are almost always assigned for school or work. (Maybe I should just start to pick a random topic and write about it; this remains a possibility.) I find these assigned writings less rewarding because no one other than your boss or Prof. reads it. And if someone else did read it and told you it was “good” they would most likely be lying because they would undoubtedly not care and/or possibly even comprehend what the fuck I was even writing about. (A recent topic for example: how to properly foreclose on a security interest in intellectual property… I mean I don’t even give a shit about that, but it doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy writing about it in a clear and concise manner). But why should I care who eventually reads it anyway? Do I need to feel appreciated?

On to my next point (thirdly) I really don’t want people to know anything about me. I mean, why would they care in the first place? Or maybe I do want people to know some things about me, but just not everything. Mystery is important. If someone theoretically knew everything about you, every single experience, and each thought you ever had, you’d cease to be interesting to that person. Yet, I know I don’t want to actively control my own self-image by selectively revealing information that conforms with a certain character that I want to project to the world. If you ask me a question I will give a full, complete, and accurate answer. But I really would rather not openly reveal everything without being asked first.

No comments: